As Spring arrives in western Pennsylvania, we are called to the outdoors. We rediscover what has been hidden by snow and lay dormant during the winter months. The nice weather is our inspiration to collect branches or leaves that have accumulated in the corners of the yard; stain the deck in time for grilling season or break out the bicycle.
The Westmoreland County Blind Association wants you to enjoy the season, and most importantly be safe and prevent eye damage. Please consider these tips to protect your vision in the coming months:
- Wear sunglasses outside when the sun shines. Look for lenses that block 100% of both UVA and UVB rays.
- View fireworks from at least 500 feet away. Never let children play with fireworks.
- Wear safety glasses when doing work that may produce chips, dust or flying particles. When working with chemicals, choose goggles that fit snugly against your face and secure with a strap.
- Thoroughly wash your hands before touching the eye.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Foods rich in antioxidants, lutein, Vitamins C and E are good for eye health.
- If you know something has scratched your eye, seek treatment from your doctor/emergency room for your eye injury.