The WCBA’s Summer Newsletter is here! You can click the image below to see what we’ve been up. The newsletter features a recap of recent events, awards and other activities as well as updates from our work activity center, adult training facility, embroidery department and more!
As you know, the Rally will be on March 13th at 10:30 a.m. There is going to be a hearing at 11:30 a.m. as well. The location of the Rally is the East Wing Rotunda, Main Capital Harrisburg.
We are anticipating approximately 750 – 1,000 to attend. Many individuals will be wearing white hats and red shirts with the “My Work, My Choice” logo.
It is recommended that you utilize the rear entrance to the Capital (East side) near the fountain. This is the closest entrance to the Rally and Hearing. It is also the entrance to utilize for individuals in wheelchairs.
East Wing Entrance
500 Commonwealth Avenue
There is parking lot information available for those interested.
Please contact Tim Miller at 724-309-9056 with questions or if you need assistance on the 13th.
My Work, My Choice
We need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. With that in mind, the Westmoreland County Blind Association will be hosting meetings on February 8th to determine what action is needed to have the Commonwealth revise their “Proposed Changes” for individuals with an intellectual disability.
What will be discussed?
- Update information on several large Organizations joining our group to provide assistance.
- Updated information will be provided on the potential of a hearing in Harrisburg.
- Review the outcome of meetings held with ODP and a SELECT few Providers.
- Provide contact information from other Providers, family members, advocacy groups, etc. throughout the Commonwealth, in order to build a stronger network.
- Determine dates for a RALLY in Harrisburg.
As you are all aware, it is getting to CRUNCH TIME!!! Our voices are definitely being heard and we cannot stop until there is a change.
Who should attend?
*We are arranging for conference calling for those of you that are unable to attend in person.
Times: 9:30 a.m. or 6:00 p.m.
Location: 911 South Main Street, Greensburg PA 15601
Please RSVP Tim Miller or Deann Wallbaum at 724-837-1250 or at email@example.com.
PLEASE take time to comment on Proposed Changes that the Commonwealth is planning to make on individuals with an intellectual disability.
These changes will eliminate an individual’s CHOICE on where they want to work.
The deadline to comment is January 17, 2017.
Here is the information that you can use to comment on these changes.
As a concerned resident of the Commonwealth, I would like to take this opportunity to Comment on Appendices A through H of the Consolidated and Person/Family Directed Support Waiver Renewals, effective July 1, 2017 (PA Bulletin, Doc. No. 16-2086). My comment will specifically focus on Appendix C pertaining to the service known as “Community Participation”.
I firmly believe that ALL individuals with developmental disabilities should have a CHOICE to achieve greater independence and opportunity in their lives. As you are well aware, this is also the mission of the Office of Developmental Programs. The most important piece of this statement is CHOICE. I do not agree with limitations placed on ones CHOICE in Appendix C pertaining to Community Participation.
The following limitations placed on attendance in Vocational or Adult Training Facility settings take away ones CHOICE.
- From 1/1/18 to 6/30/18, a participant may not receive Community Participation Support services in a licensed Adult Training Facility or a licensed Vocational Facility for more than 75 percent of his or her support time, on average, per week.
- From 7/1/18 to 12/31/18, a participant may not receive Community Participation Support services in a licensed Adult Training Facility or a licensed Vocational Facility for more than 50 percent of his or her support time, on average, per week.
- Starting 1/1/19, a participant may not receive Community Participation Support services in a licensed Adult Training Facility or a licensed Vocational Facility for more than 25 percent of his or her support time, on average, per week.
The amount of time an individual wants to attend Vocational or Adult Training Facility settings should be the CHOICE of each individual and should not be mandated.
Please contact Governor Tom Wolf at Office of the Governor, 508 Main Capitol Building, Harrisburg, PA 17120 or call 717-787-2500 or fax 717-772-8284.
If you want to get more involved, contact Tim Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 724-837-1250, ext. 16
Thanks to the District 14-E Lions Club (Westmoreland County) who recently donated a check to the Westmoreland County Blind Association in the amount of $3,240 for equipment needed in our Work Activity Center!
Our Shredding Department has many options to fit your document or hard drive destruction needs. Whether you are a large company, small business, or have your own personal documents, no job is too big or small! By selecting WCBA as your document destruction service, you will be supporting our employees with visual, intellectual and/or developmental disabilities to help maintain their independence and productivity.
For many, finding meaningful employment in today’s economic climate is difficult and have diminished employment opportunities in our community. It is through the kindness of our neighbors that the WCBA mission endures!